it’s no secret that tropes and cliche’s are the backbone of the k-drama world. here’s my take on seven of these.
enemies to lovers
an obvious classic. whether it’s straight up hate or bottling of emotions from both the parties, enemies to lovers is always an entertaining one.
- watch it: “so i married an anti-fan” and the iconic “boys over flowers.” the former is extremely entertaining and it also has a webtoon.
tragic endings are a new favourite of k-drama writers these days. tragic endings are hard to grasp and hard on the heart. why cry when you can not? why can’t we have satisfactory and happy endings? why is media obsessed with the portrayal of the tragic and the damned. obviously it’s an amazing trope. i think the whole appeal of the tragic trope rests on the fact that it’s like walking into a fire very well knowing there’s barely a one percent chance you’ll come back in a single piece.
- watch it: “twenty five-twenty one” is exactly the k-drama i had in mind while writing about this one.
friends to lovers
friends to lovers is actually more realistic in real life than in fiction. despite the hallway and airport crush craze, you’re actually more likely to fall for a close friend than the dude with good hair you sat next to in a plane once. i don’t like this one as much because it’s mostly executed half-heartedly, but it can be nerve-racking and exciting if done right.
- watch it: “weightlifting fairy kim bok-joo”
something about this trope always hits. maybe it’s the dysfunction itself or the way all the characters react and each in their own way contribute to it. something about watching mothers go crazy and fathers get even more tight-lipped as the days pass, makes it a very satisfying trope to watch.
- watch it: “penthouse”, “sky castle”, all these dramas do it psychotically and do it right. penthouse always does it the best.
does this trope even require any explanation?
- watch it: “what’s wrong with secretary kim” and “itaewon class” are among my faves.
the love triangle
in one word: outdated. this used to be extremely fun but now i’m just sick. i truly thought we were done with this after true beauty? it’s a fact that it’s team seojun for the win but this trope really does need to take a backseat. it’s been an iconic plot tool but the overuse of it ( and overuse being TERRIBLE) is just a huge no for me.
- watch it: do yourself a favor and don’t.
rude/ socially awkward leads
sorry but i’m a sucker for this one. any rude lead and i’m sold. rude female leads serve even better. even better if they’re both rude and hate the other person’s guts. its always nice when the male lead’s rude because he’s so tongue-tied in front of the love interest and he ends up doing all the wrong things. watching him regret all his life decisions is both relatable and diffuses the tension underlying the plot and between the characters.
- watch it: “boys over flowers” and “the inheritors” are some that i can name off the top of my head.
question: which one of these tropes do you truly detest and which one of these is your fave? it’s hard to pick a single trope to hate on, there’s so many to hate. on the other hand, my ultimate fave trope has to be enemies to lovers. let me know yours in the comments and have a great day </3
taylor swift said it first and rightfully so! because honestly, i have no clue how this month went by. was it august the song or august the month? both needed to be longer.
august involved a lot of reflection and re-reading on my part.
recently, a friend at school said that they loved the layout of my blog and that they were a frequent reader of the posts. while the praise made me extremely happy and feverish for the rest of the day, it also forced me to take a good look at my writing and make a conscious effort to improve it even more as the number of posts on my blog as well as its readership increase.
with this being said, welcome to a new post!
a four star read.
never let me go by kazuo ishiguro— i would have genuinely preferred if there was a lot more science than the fiction. while the book makes a big deal out of nothing, i still found it a little better than mediocre to read. the book is definitely haunting but not all at once, it’s like the fear that first slips in through a creek and then spreads all over until there’s nothing left to do but to be engulfed by it.
there was a lot to unpack and analyse in this. not much of it is upfront, but rather between the lines. ruth and kathy’s friendship/ symbiotic relationship was also an aspect i really enjoyed reading about. their different quirks and how both of them perceived different situations and reacted so differently was illustrated so well. despite being a consistent giver of second-hand embarrassment, tommy as a character was justified extremely well. i would rate it anywhere between 3 to 4 stars.
what is august if not gilmore girls
august’s the season for gilmore girls!
no matter what social media you’re on, theres no doubt about the fact that gilmore girls has entered your radar atleast once. gilmore girls revolves around the lorelai gilmores- mother and daughter share the same name. a main indication that you should watch the show. as the show progresses, we watch rory peak and unable to maintain the peak, crumble under pressure and invariably self-destruct. we watch as the once considered-prodigy rory enters a cycle of self-destruction. while this is often considered be downfall of the show, in my opinion, this adds to gilmore girl’s sense of realism and practicality.
you cannot always be the best. you cannot always be privileged. being a prodigy is a limited title.
sometimes prodigies end up getting into harvard and becoming president. other times, they don’t. while the whole analysis of rory and her character development requires a whole different post, gilmore girls at it’s heart, is a definite must-watch. there’s a lot to take in from all the different characters and it’s amazing how they all complement each other so well despite having their own unique quirks and personalities. definitely one of the best ensemble of casts.
this august, i definitely consumed a lot more netflix than novels. my current read is book lovers by emily henry and it’s going great! i enjoyed people we meet on vacation but it wasn’t a five star.
however, i stumbled upon book lovers at my favourite bookstore. i randomly flipped a page and then found myself flipping more than just one page💀💀 nora is an absolutely relatable character and i hereby declare book lovers as my first five star prediction of september 2022!
how did your august go? your thoughts on gilmore girls? which lorelai do you prefer, or even better, is it paris? dean? let me know !
[ logged out.
9:26 PM ]
if you’ve ever wondered what it feels like to watch the show first, read the book later and then mentally thank yourself for finishing neither of them, “you” is it.
the hype behind everything that had to do with this book was definitely the only thing that prompted me to read this. however, umpteen things in this book just failed to deliver. you know one of those moments in award shows where the outfit in its entirety is glamorous and the person donning it looks stunning as well, but when they clamber up the stairs, they end up slipping and falling flat to the floor?
“you” is the bookish epitome of that exact moment.
our MC, joe, works in a bookstore, gives excellent customer service, the actor playing him also played dan in gossip girl, has a nice voice, is charismatic and has good taste in the arts. what more would anyone want in a guy?
except he’s a stalker. i don’t think we want that.
i’m glad this is fiction. truly.
in the span of 450-ish pages, joe goldberg goes on to commit practically every single crime in the dictionary of crime with no remorse whatsoever. he’s a master at covering up his tracks, is insanely hilarious and somehow that makes up for his lack of moral code.
joe goldberg, the stalker, also happens to be our narrator- his delusional viewpoint of the world around him and the fact that he unironically critiques everything around him- was the primary reason this book could even be redeemed readable. let make it clear, i dislike his actions but i do not dislike his narration.
“everybody in new york is faking illnesses”
in a nutshell:
- joe makes an assumption and/or judges someone he knows practically nothing about
- suprise! joe is right
- events 1 and 2 take place continuously.
barely any other comments can be made about the other characters because all you’re exposed to for the majority of the book is joe. beck, peach etc etc come and go, but all we’re able to discern about them is all that joe states. joe is obviously a textbook unreliable narrator, but something about his narration is lacking.
he is unreliable, but uncomfortably so. his narration is a constant cycle of vicious attacking and dreadful self-victimisation with the main goal being to garner sympathy.
detaching from joe himself for a minute, the other aspect that led me to rating this a three star was the creation of joe. his narration isn’t a first person narration where we see things through the narrator’s lenses and nothing less, this is joe directly addressing beck with every single move he makes.
even the littlest things about him scream stalker, and despite how this entire book was just a “wtf” moment, the intricate attention to detail that has been put in creating the avatar of joe was amazing.
analytically, the creation of joe the avatar was amazing. as a highschooler secondly and human firstly, i had trouble sleeping at night.
skimming through joe goldberg’s prominently deranged mind was riotous. my entire experience of reading this book was ironic. plainly, the netflix show depicts both the characters and plot better.
if you’re like me and have had the absolute horror of reading “you”, a penny for your thoughts? did you actually enjoy it or was did the whole experience leave a bitter taste in your mouth?
[ logged out.
4:57 PM ]
as the title states, june was nothing less than a WHIRLWIND.
school re-opened, exams begun and thankfully, i did not flunk my math paper! this was also the month i discovered the masterpiece that is bungo stray dogs!
- this is one of those animes i don’t even want to talk about because talking and writing about this also doesn’t do it justice.
- the plot execution is at its peak, the characters each have actual personalities, quirks and motivations and each episode is funnier than the previous one.
- dazai is obviously my comfort character and he should be yours too!
it’s also crazy to think that we’re in the seventh month of this year. is it just me or the year actually seems to be going by really fast?
i finished an 8/10 book vampire series in a week! just during exam season ! my timing is always on point.
- did i like it? somewhat.
- am i re-entering a vampire/ dark-character phase again? when was i out of it?
- this was overdue, but now i’m honestly glad to say i picked up reading pace this month !!
- the book that triggered this phase was “insatiable” by meg cabot, the aforementioned vampire phase trigger.
- an obviously predictable plot, but it was still nice to read.
- for a book to be anything more than a 3-star read, it doesn’t necessarily have to be the “best” or have the finest plot twists or the most relatable characters or anything.
- sometimes you just read a book and you’re like “wow i lost track of time reading this. 5 stars. okay.”
- that’s how i felt about insatiable.
in addition to reading, i spent more time trying to draw liver diagrams and solving physics numericals. a notes flip through is in the making!
when school, life and other engagements get a little overbearing, de-stressing is key. recently i’ve found anime and tv-shows to be the best stress buster. if you’re looking for comedy coupled with immensely likeable characters, spy x family is the way to go.
- spy x family follows loid forger, anya forger and yor brair as they try to maintain their image of a “perfect” family. loid is a westalian agent code-named “twilight” tasked with spying on donovan desmond. the issue here is the fact that donovan is a self-proclaimed recluse and this makes spying on him extremely difficult.
- loid isn’t one to call it quits, though. a mission is a mission and thus the forger family is formed. yor, despite her cutesy features, is a professional assassin and anya can read minds!
- neither does anya know about what loid and yor do, nor do loid and yor know about anya. it’s like going around in circles over and over again.
- obviously it’s one of those animes where even trying to pick a favourite character feels like a crime
nikszine, status: closed.
internet frequenter or not, practically everybody at this point has heard about hot girl summer.
beautiful world, where are you
- if you want to look smart, unapproachable and well-read at the beach while actually enjoying what you’re reading- this is THE book.
- it’s no secret that i’m a fan of everything sally rooney writes, but this one is a certified beach read. no doubts.
dog days and wimpy kid
this was THE BOOK started it all. if you’ve not already read this, get off my blog.
we were liars
before the coffee gets cold
the embodiment of a cafe read. throw in some time travel, grief and loss along with very little page count
i finished this a while ago- during a car ride actually. suffice to say, i didn’t notice much of the scenery.
people we meet on vacation
poppyalex. denial and denial. need i say more? not particularly light-hearted but the story makes you root for them for sure.
city of girls
- i’ve been a city of girls fan ever since i read it last year.
- i would sell my soul to read this book for the first time again.
- this book is original, truthful and honest- there’s twists at every turn and looking up from this book feels like a crime.
- it’s a crime i haven’t got to the sequel yet- the lack of time is killing me!!
- i can’t wait to get to it though.
- the warriors of goodreads don’t seem to have particularly good things to say about this but i enjoyed it.
have you read any of these? are there any books that you’ve been enjoying lately too? we were liars TORE my heart apart and i still haven’t recovered.
asic signing off,
wrap ups are stressful. do we agree?
on the contrary, may was less than stressful- there’s always a decent amount of stress everyday, but may was still a great month. i’m on summer break right now and thankfully, i also have another 2 weeks to go !!
death note has taken over my life
- i love everything about death note except for near, matsuda and that ending.
- anime and manga go through everything 100% and maintain amazing accuracy except for the endings. the endings are ALWAYS random, choppy and lame. offence intended, please don’t defend them.
- what goes on in the studio, guys?
- ignoring that tiny margin of error, death note is an absolute masterpiece otherwise!!!
- i have been converted into a kira superstan- kira is justice, kira is great and so the holy book goes…
there were other great things too..
- spy x family, for instance! this, along with haikyuu, is the epitome of a comfort anime.
- first off, it’s so worth the hype. waiting for an episode makes the time pass by so slow, but it’s so worth the wait- watching the episodes of spy x family is my only motivation to get through the day
- as you can probably tell, anya is my favourite character🙏 i love all of them equally though- everyone’s equally unhinged😭
i can’t recollect if i mentioned i finally got a netflix subscription- but here it is! i hope to waste a lot of time watching netflix as an excuse for self-care, so drop recommendations for me! oikawa’s motto of “if you’re going to hit it, hit it until it breaks” has actually now become my motto for life as well. inspiring king🙏
all progress is progress, but i still have to log the rest of the books i read this month. seeing the number increase, however slowly, is very satisfying!!
- i also went on vacation!
- usually if i went for a vacation i wouldn’t really take photos or videos as such- i would actually go out of my way to avoid them but things are changing now.
- i’m really happy about that and i think i gotta give credit to social media on that one. and this blog too hehe
nikszine status: how was your may? did you go anywhere, are you on break and the most important one- are you also watching spy x family? jokes aside, if this month wasn’t your best, don’t fret ! there’s still 6? 7? 5? months left???
i hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as i did writing it!!
asic signing off,
would you just look at that???
23 out of 200? is this even happening? i could physically feel my heart sink as i glanced upon these underwhelming stats. underachieving is a disease. and i need a vaccine.
my ambitious tbr for the summer
ironically the first draft for this was actually created on april fool’s day but the only fool here is my goodreads goal. that being said, it’s in the best interests of my pride and ego to do my best to reach that goal. 200 is actually unhinged, but it’s possible. here’s the first part of my 10-step plan to reach 200 books. hoping to make my atrocious takes on books a real thing soon.
- the night circus // appox. 400 pages- i’m already halfway through it and i love it!! when you love a book, you totally forget the fact it’s a mini baby
- the viscount who loved me // 500 pages- if you think i’m re-reading the entire bridgerton series but not in order, you’re totally right.
- kafka on the shore // 504 pages- it’s heavy, but murakami always serves. something about his writing gives me a headache, but like a good one. it’s so weird it’s good.
- verity // approx. 350 pages- it’s colleen hoover and it’s a thriller. we just killed two birds with one stone.
- all your perfects // approx. 320 pages- colleen hoover again. it’s miraculous. (the cover’s disgusting. i’ve said this before. but we have kindle !)
- the love hypothesis // approx. 400 pages- kindle rushing to my rescue. it’s an adorable cover but i cannot have it physically sitting around in my room.
- malibu rising // approx 400 pages- another one for the kindle. this isn’t by choice- i’ve looked all around town and yet i’m absolutely unable to find the hard copy of this anywhere
last minute strategies…
- if all else fails, i’m going to turn to marie lu- the one author whose books i can NEVER hate. i’ve been emotionally rearranged by every book she’s written.
- this isn’t exactly last minute, but manga !!!! especially the ones where you can just scroll endlessly- 1 hour and the books i’ve read have increased to 40.
- also throwing in a prayer or two for goodwill and goodluck.
nikszine status: this has been a fast paced post. i kind of apologise. i’ve been procrastinating- not procrastinating exactly, but i’ve spaced out a bit. but i’m back ! let’s catch up in the comments. i’m also loving spy x family and death note. i’m also one of those people in the fandom who prefer light to L hehe. also i love the percy jackson casting! grover makes my indian heart HAPPY
asic signing off,
- just started gilmore girls
- this show is honestly so hilarious
- yet so drama-filled
- rory’s an icon right now
- we shall see what happens in the coming episodes
it’s only wednesday. i had a holiday yesterday and a math test today, so i spent the whole of yesterday studying for that. the test went well! welcome to a catch-up blog post !!!
BOOKS and literature
- off topic but dan telling rory she has unbelievable concentration is exactly what we all should be telling each other.
- sorry, back on topic: i’ve been reading indra nooyi’s memoir from the past 2 weeks in halves and in between classes. it’s enriching, educational yet so grounded.
- if all memoirs and non-fiction have the standout quality that this book holds, i’ll be reading a lot more non-fiction and memoirs after this one. ( recommendations are always welcomed aaa !!!! )
- loveboat taipei: mentioned previously, here.
- dance, dance, dance by murakami: reading the book wasn’t enough. i need to engulf myself in more theories and analysis because the story isn’t enough, i need to feel and eat the words on the page.
AUX AND TRACKS !
zach hood– discovered him through my friend’s playlist and every single song is so relatable?? sorry if i sound depressed and aching (because i probably am) but all these tracks are just BANGERS.
- SERVED. corpse always serves. i love this track. it’s slightly different from the ones he’s done before but all his tracks serve so differently and he always brings something new to the table all the time. he’s so amazing. ( AND AAA HIS PFP UPDATED?!!! )
- classroom of the elite??? absolutely amazing. this OST?? always SERVES.
- i think as it was is my cue to stan harry styles ??? i think i still would want to hear more of his discographies before stanning though…
SHOWS AND ANIME
my amazon prime subscription expired !! how fun.
- while the subscription did last though, i watched a lot of hindi movies.
- bollywood is like opening up a box and then you judge the box by the one pin it has on the top instead of actually opening it up and seeing everything it holds inside.
- hindi medium is a great movie too !
- anyways onto anime, i wanted to watch kaguya-sama on youtube but all of a sudden season 01 cannot be seen anymore💀💀
- that’s luck for ya.
in:life and the moments
how has the week been for you? any new shows// movies // bad encounters of luck??
asic signing off,
inspired by my latest insta post ! the shows we’ll be going over in today’s post are bridgerton, euphoria and all of us are dead. it’s kinda fascinating to see all the different concepts and themes being popular for all the different reasons.
score 01 | euphoria
- call me by your name
- will grayson, will grayson
- malibu rising
- the chandler legacies
- beautiful world, where are you
- loveboat, taipei
SCORE 02 | BRIDGERTON
- viscount who loved me
- pride and prejudice
- a duke, the lady and a baby
- a lady’s guide to mischief and mayhem
- mr malcolm’s list
- the seven husbands of evelyn hugo
SCORE 03 | ALL OF US ARE DEAD
- one of us is lying
- a good girls guide to murder
- handmaids tale
- the talking of jake livingston
- and then i woke up
- the maidens
everywhere i go and every account i click on, people seem to keep talking about the following shows and while i won’t comment on whether the hype is deserved or not, they do make for excellent content creation. frankly speaking, i’m still watching Bridgerton and can we all agree that the books were just >>>>>>>>>
a month ago or something, euphoria was literally EVERYWHERE and while i’m glad i didn’t give into the peer pressure of watching it, i just finished season 01 !
to conclude, have you watched any of these shows? or vice versa, are any of the books i recommended, a fave of yours? let me know !! and if you have more recommendations, of both books AND shows, i’d be happy to include them !!!!! have a great week
asic signing off,
i judged a book by its cover- a pretty cover with a pretty girl but a not so pretty story. 4.5 stars but i do feel guilty for liking it.
the book follows ever wong, who’s basically pressured by her parents to go to med school and become a doctor. her parents send her away for the summer and she lands up at loveboat, a place where things you wouldn’t do in front of your parents, run rampant. ever likes to dance. blood makes her squeal with fear. what does she do?
when most of the people i follow on goodreads basically rated this as below three stars and here i sit, wondering what i did wrong… i liked this book.
don’t shoot me.
- i feel like this is most likely going to be a comfort book for me because all the drama in the book makes me forget about all the assignments and tests i have due.
- character-wise, i felt like every character had a bad past for literally no reason ?? and every character had only this specific role to play without any other dimension to them.
- i don’t actually like the plot and neither do i like the characters except for xavier but the only reason why this is my toxic comfort is book is because of all the chaos this circus carries.
EVER WONG, HOW DO I START?
- there’s moments where i love ever and moments where i hate her.
- ever’s a great main character—forgiving to a fault but she’s also able to stand up to people.. everyone other than her parents.
- but that’s what character development is for !
- i loved her character development in all the other scenes except for the way she dealt with sophie. she should have been way harsher and frankly speaking, sophie was a walking red flag from the START.
- i hate, hate, hate her for the way she dealt with xavier and basically just took advantage of everything he said and felt for her. and she expects him to be okay with it because he’s a “player??”
MOVING ON… TO THE WALKING RED FLAG OF THE STORY
- raise your hands for sophie, our walking red flag !!
- literally the worst written character off all and the “happy” ending she got was not well-deserved at all.
- after leaking ever’s nudes, i was actually seething when ever forgave her.
- she was most 2D character of them all
- the worst part is she didn’t even seem an inch sorry for whatever she did and that has me seething.
- if you need to take your hate out on a character, let sophie be it.
THE ONLY CHARACTER I WOULD WALK INTO A FIRE FOR
- xavier yeh
- yuh i love him
- he’s so artistic yet he has such good appeal. he’s absolutely amazing and he deserved better
- you know one of those characters that deserve way better and you keep rooting for them throughout the story, right?
- well xavier’s one of them
- he’s so strong and everything he did for ever had my heart racing.
- and ever was absolutely stupid for choosing bOy woNDEr over him.
- anyways xavier yeh supremacy
i won’t even comment on boy wonder and his ex girlfriend with serious issues and how toxic their whole relationship was because that’s a story for another day.
- would i recommend this? yes, but most of the topics that go on in this book are actually highly TW so PLEASE CHECK THOSE OUT before going into the book with your eyes closed
- my rating: anywhere between 3 to 4 stars
asic signing off,